Southwestern Branch Undergraduate Student Achievement in Entomology Award
This award will consider applications from students who have demonstrated activity and achievement in entomology and the biological sciences and have distinguished themselves in either: 1) an undergraduate research project; or 2) creative achievements in outreach. The award will be presented at the Opening Session of the Southwestern Branch Meeting. The winner will receive a certificate, cash award ($50), and waived registration fees for the upcoming Southwestern Branch Meeting. The winning student is expected to be present at the Opening Session for receipt of the certificate and cash award and is expected to submit and present a paper or poster at the Southwestern Branch Meeting.
The applicant must be enrolled as an undergraduate student (not necessarily in an Entomology Department) at the time of application. The applicant also must be a member of the Southwestern Branch with current membership in the Entomological Society of America. Preference will be given to students whose research or outreach accomplishments have been in areas related to entomology. Applicants should visit the Southwestern Branch website for details pertinent to the Southwestern Branch Meeting.
Nomination packets should include:
- A letter of nomination from the Head of the host Department (the student need not be a registered major in Entomology) or designee (MAXIMUM OF 2 PAGES);
- A letter of support from an undergraduate research advisor, instructor or other appropriate faculty member (MAX. OF 2 PAGES);
- A resume of the student applicant (MAX. OF 3 PAGES);
- An abstract of the accomplishment (whether research or outreach), demonstrating the creative approach or accomplishment;
- A statement by the applicant agreeing -- if selected -- to submit and present a paper or poster at the meeting of the Southwestern Branch of the Entomological Society of America.
- Photograph of the nominee (as a digital image file [JPG]).
Applications are to be submitted as a PDF file submitted either by the student or (preferably) by the nominating Department Head. Nomination packages are to be submitted online through the Southwestern Branch Awards Nomination Website.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the Southwestern Branch Nomination website by Thursday April 15, 2021. This deadline refers to receipt by the Awards Administrator of a complete package in a readable format.