Undergraduate Student Achievement in Entomology Award
This award will be presented at the Opening Session of the Southwestern Branch meeting. The award consists of a certificate, cash award ($50), and waived registration fees for one undergraduate student. The student is expected to be present at the Opening Session for receipt of the certificate and cash award. The student will be expected to submit and present a paper or poster at the meeting of the Southwestern Branch and participate in the meeting.
The Undergraduate Achievement in Entomology Award will consider applications from students who have demonstrated activity and achievement in entomology and the biological sciences, and have distinguished themselves in either: 1) an undergraduate research project or 2) creative achievements in outreach. Each applicant must be enrolled as an undergraduate student (not necessarily in an Entomology Department) at the time of application. Each applicant also must be a member of the Southwestern Branch with current membership in the Entomological Society of America. Preference will be given to students whose research or outreach accomplishments have been in areas related to Entomology. Applicants should visit the Southwestern Branch website for details pertinent to the Annual Branch meeting.
Electronic Submission Requirements:
All nomination packages must be submitted online through the Southwestern Branch Awards Nomination Webiste according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
1) A letter of nomination from the Head of the host Department (the student
need not be a registered major in Entomology) or designee (MAXIMUM OF 2 PAGES);
2) A letter of support from an undergraduate research advisor, instructor or other appropriate faculty member (MAX. OF 2 PAGES);
3) A resume of the student applicant (MAX. OF 3 PAGES);
4) An abstract of the accomplishment (whether research or outreach),
demonstrating the creative approach or accomplishment;
5) A statement by the applicant agreeing -- if selected -- to submit and present a paper or poster at the meeting of the Southwestern Branch of the Entomological Society of America.
6) Photograph of the nominee (as a digital image file [JPG]).
Applications are to be submitted as a pdf file submitted either by the student or (preferably) by the nominating Department Head. Nomination packages are to be submitted to online through the Southwestern Branch Awards Nomination Webiste.
For consideration, complete applications must be received by February 20, 2018.
Please contact Jane Pierce for any questions on this award.