Lillian and Alex Feir Graduate Student Travel Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology
This award encourages graduate students working with insects or other arthropods in the broad areas of physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology to affiliate with ESA's Physiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology Section and to attend the ESA Annual Meeting. This award was established by Dorothy Feir, 1989 president of ESA, as a tribute to her parents who, at considerable self-sacrifice, encouraged education and travel experience for their daughters.
For questions about this award, email email@example.com
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Start a Lillian and Alex Feir Graduate Student Travel
Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology Nomination
This award includes a cash prize, based on earnings from the investment, and a plaque, which is presented at the ESA Annual Meeting. The winner also will present at the Physiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology Section meeting at the ESA Annual Meeting.
All students using arthropods to study any aspect of basic or applied physiology, biochemistry, or molecular biology in the broadest sense for their Master's or doctoral research are eligible to apply. Students from all science departments are encouraged to apply. The applicant does not have to present a paper in order to receive the award. A student may re-apply but preference will be given to a student who has not received the award previously. The winner must be an ESA student member at the time he/she applies for this award.
Nominations may be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- Letter of nomination that provides a brief explanation of how the individual excelled in performing his/her duties, including innovations in training, programs, and methods
- Two letters of endorsement from professional colleagues and clientele*
- Topic or areas of thesis research
- Official or unofficial transcripts of all graduate education. Unofficial transcripts must be accompanied with a support letter from the department or advisor confirming the authenticity. Official transcripts can me mailed to: ESA 3 Park Place Suite 307 Annapolis, MD 21401 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reasons for attending the meeting
- Budget to attending the meeting
*Anonymous Letter of Support: Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter. This method should only be used if the individual writing the letter does not want the nominator to see the letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact email@example.com with the Award Nomination ID # (found at the top left-hand corner of the nomination submission page), Nominee name and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Lillian and Alex Feir Graduate Award Submission Site according to the following specifications:
Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed letters will not be accepted. Letters of recommendation cannot exceed two pages each.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to email@example.com for assistance.
Nominees/candidates will be judged by the Lillian and Alex Feir Graduate Student Travel Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology Judging Panel using the following criteria for a total of 50 points:
- Enthusiasm and interest in attending the meeting (10)
- Academic credentials (GPA and the number of credits completed) (10)
- Reasonable budget to attend meeting (10)
- Topic or areas of thesis research (10)
- Recommendations from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (10)
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators, where applicable, with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
Any candidate nominated but not selected may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his or her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.