International Branch Graduate Student Award
An award of $250 USD will be provided in recognition to a graduate student member of the International Branch (IB) of the Entomological Society of America (ESA) for their course work and research culminating in scholarship.
Candidates must be enrolled in graduate school and currently be researching an entomological problem at a recognized institution. Students may apply to only one of the International Branch student awards during a given year. Membership in the International Branch of the Entomological Society of America is required. Final scores will be weighted relative to the opportunity of each candidate.
Candidates will submit the following nomination materials:
- Description of research (max. 1 page) including details of originality and difficulty of research. If they exist, details of proficiency in fields other than Entomology should also be provided.
- Curriculum vitae (max. 2 pages) which should include:
- Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) (if provided by institution) or a similar measure of academic assessment for both undergraduate and graduate course work.
- List of oral and/or poster presentations. Please provide complete citations.
- List of publications (refereed or non-refereed). Please provide complete citations.
- Teaching experience (academic, outreach or extension)
- Awards, honors and scholarships
- Committee participation and membership of professional societies.
- Transcripts of all college course work as confirmation of G. P. A. or a similar measure of academic assessment (scanned transcripts are acceptable).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty members of his/her institution.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from his/her peers (note: use current or recent graduate students who can evaluate the candidate's academic, research, and professional accomplishments)
- Note: Please request e-mail delivery of all letters, either scanned signed document [PDF] or an unsigned Word document that uses the sender's e-mail will suffice as a confirmation of authenticity of the letter.
- A photograph of the nominee (digital image file but less than <1MB in size).
The winner of the award is encouraged to submit a virtual poster for the annual meeting of the Entomological Society America, 11-14 November 2018. This year to be held as a joint meeting with the Entomological Society of Canada and the Entomological Society of British Columbia, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, A plaque will presented by the International Branch President.
The fee for submitting the virtual poster will be reimbursed by ESA. In addition, the name and a short biography of the winning candidate will be displayed on the website of the International Branch of Entomological Society of America (http://www.entsoc.org/internationalbranch).
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nominations must be received by 31 July 2018. Application materials must be submitted in electronic format. Paper nominations will not be accepted. Send all materials to the Chair of the International Branch Awards Committee, (email@example.com).
Send all materials to the International Branch Awards Committee Chair, Robin Gunning.