Recognition Award in Medical, Urban, & Veterinary Entomology
Sponsored by S.C. Johnson
This MUVE Award recognizes and encourages outstanding research, teaching, outreach/extension and service contributions in the fields of medical, urban, and veterinary entomology. These fields are broadly defined as the study of the biology and control of arthropods that impact human health, found in the home or surrounding landscape, and of significance to livestock and companion animals. The award, sponsored by S.C. Johnson, consists of an inscribed plaque and a monetary amount determined by the interest earned from the endowment. The awardee is presented with the plaque at the MUVE Section business meeting during the ESA Annual Meeting. This award was previously the ESA Recognition Award in Urban Entomology. It is required that you are a member of MUVE to be eligible.
For questions about this award, please contact MUVE President Michael Reiskind.
Each nominee must be a current MUVE member and have contributed significantly to the advancement of entomology through work in medical, urban, or veterinary entomology. A recipient of a widely recognized scientific award will not be eligible for this award unless the accomplishment cited for nomination represents new work. Recipients of this award are not eligible for future nominations. Industry candidates are not eligible for this award.
Nominations may be made by anyone. Nomination packages must include:
- CV-Related Items: Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. View a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections listed below.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 4 - Extension/Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items:
- Letter of nomination
- Up to three letters of recommendation*
- Summary of any accomplishments not covered under CV-related items
*included in the package or submitted anonymously via e-mail electronically to email@example.com
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Candidate (24 total)
- Professional leadership (8)
- Honors, awards, achievements and other recognition (8)
- Recommendation from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (8)
- Teaching (15 total)
- Formal Courses (5)
- Other teaching activities including invited lectures (5)
- Mentorship of students and student projects (5)
- Extension, Outreach and Service (16 total)
- Special assignments and committee/society activities (8)
- Service including extension, community activities, outreach (8)
- Research Program (45 total)
- Creativity and innovation (10)
- Originality (10)
- Evidence of impact (10)
- Quality of publications (10)
- Grantsmanship (5)
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the MUVE Awards Submission Site according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists. This includes anonymous letters of support sent to ESA separately, please factor in these letters into the package length. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered.
- Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed letters will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to email@example.com for assistance.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Renomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of re-nomination to the awards administrator by the award deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
Candidates and their nominators, where applicable, will be notified with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the MUVE Award Nomination website by June 1, 2021. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended.