CV Template for ESA and Entomological Foundation Award Nominations/Applications
The following is an optional format that may be used as a template for organizing the nominee's biographical and professional or academic information. Content is more important than format. Therefore, using an alternate format will not disqualify the nomination.
Please note that each award also requires other items in addition to the CV. Please see the individual award's instruction page for complete details.
The table below shows which areas of the CV template apply to each award. Full details regarding the contents of each section appear below the chart.
Full descriptions for each section appear below.
* (For items shown below with an asterisk) Lists may be summarized by providing the number of publications, talks, posters, etc. by type and/or listing only recent items, for example, in the last five or 10 years.
Section I: Background Information
- Nominee's/Applicant's Name
- Contact Information: Provide nominee's or applicant's mailing address, e-mail address and phone number.
- Affiliation: Place of work, study or other appropriate affiliation.
- Current Professional or Academic Title
- Appointment Split: For academic positions, list percent of appointment dedicated to all relevant categories (e.g., research, teaching, extension and administration).
- Educational Background: List degrees, institutions, and years received.
- Relevant Employment: Include employer, location, nominee's title, and years of employment.
- Memberships and Affiliations: (Only for awards not requiring Section 5: Service) Relevant professional memberships and additional affiliations such as adjunct faculty status.
- Awards and Honors: Title of relevant award or honor, bestowing institution, and year bestowed. Please exclude grants or contracts here. Significant elected positions also may be listed here.
Section II: Research
- *Research Publications: Include refereed publications, review articles, books written or edited, book chapters, technical reports, and appropriate non-refereed publications. Abstracts or publications relating to teaching and extension, are best listed in the corresponding sections below.
- *Research Support: If applicable, list grants, gifts, and contracts. Include project titles, sources of funds, amounts, years and nominee's roles as principal investigator (e.g. primary, secondary, minor, etc.). Grants primarily for teaching or extension activities are best listed in the appropriate sections below.
- Numbers of Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Associates Trained: (For nominees with academic appointments) Please do not provide students’ names. Numbers of students may be distinguished by Master's, doctoral and postdoctoral.
- *Research Talks and Posters Presented: List invited presentations, including seminars and symposia, and submitted presentations, including professional meetings and conferences. Extension presentations are best summarized in Section 4 below.
- Patents: If available and applicable, provide relevant patent title, number, year, and any additional information.
Section III: Teaching
- Formal Courses: List formal lecture and seminar courses for which the nominee has had primary responsibility. Include course title, average enrollment, and the years taught. Also include experimental courses developed by nominee.
- Other Teaching Activities: List or summarize activities as appropriate (e.g., undergraduate fellows trained, non-thesis graduate students, guest lectures, etc.).
- Teaching Improvement Grants: List project titles, sources of funds, amounts and years.
- *Publications Relevant to Teaching: List peer-reviewed papers, textbooks, and other pertinent publications.
- Teaching Evaluations: Briefly describe the evaluation process and summarize the results.
Section IV: Extension/Outreach
Outreach information may be provided for those nominees without a formal extension appointment.
- *Extension Publications: List formally-published bulletins, fact sheets, compendia, manuals, etc. Mimeographed (departmental) publications may also be listed. Also list articles for newsletters, trade journals, conference and workshop proceedings, etc.
- *Additional Extension Educational Products: List slide sets, videos, PowerPoint presentations, CDs, software, web sites, or other forms of extension information. Also include information for newsletters developed and/or coordinated.
- *Presentations at Extension Meetings, Workshops, and Field Days: Summarize information on presentations and types of audiences.
- *Media Contact: List media experiences (e.g., contact with newspapers and radio and television stations).
- Extension Support: Provide information on grants and gifts received by the nominee in support of the extension program. Include project titles, sources of funds, amounts, years, and the nominee's roles in those projects.
- Evaluation of Extension Programs: If available, provide summaries of quantitative or qualitative evaluations of the nominee's extension presentations or educational products.
Section V: Service
- Professional Societies: If applicable, list offices held, committee service, symposia coordinated, manuscripts reviewed, etc. Distinguish between elected, appointed, and volunteer service.
- Organizations: If applicable, list relevant service to public or private organizations other than professional societies.
- Public and/or Private Sector: If applicable, list service activities for the public and/or private sector.
- State, National, and International Agencies: If applicable, list service to governmental and affiliated agencies (e.g., USDA, WHO, EPA, NSF, NIH, state departments of agriculture or health, etc.).
- Nominee's Institution: If applicable, list service relating to the nominee's professional or academic appointment. Include adjunct faculty appointments.
- Community and Other: If applicable, list significant service activities in the community or for organizations and agencies not related to the nominee's professional or academic appointment.