Pacific Branch Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching
The nomination of the winner of this award will be modified and forwarded as the pass-through nomination from PBESA for the National ESA competition for the Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching. The awardee must have excelled through innovations in developing new courses, programs, and teaching methods.
Any questions regarding the award or nomination process, please contact Dr. Ayman Mostafa.
Nominees must be an ESA member of the Pacific Branch.
Nomination packages should include the following:
- Letter of nomination
- CV of the nominee
- Up to three letters of endorsement from colleagues and students
- Documentation of teaching innovations
Only PDF files will be accepted. Supporting image files should be embedded into the document, and should be of sufficient resolution for easy viewing. All nomination packets are limited to a maximum of 20 pages. (Any reprints are not included in the 20 page limit.)
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Classroom Instructions (30 points total)
- Amount/number of courses and/or students (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of methods (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of materials (10)
- Other Aspects of Teaching (40 points total)
- Development of new courses or curricula (4)
- Grants received for teaching (2)
- Publications related to teaching (2)
- Talks related to teaching (2)
- Participation in committees related to teaching (2)
- Advising students and student organizations (20)
- Evaluation by students and peers (8)
- Outreach and Other Activities (30 points total)
- Presentations or activities for K-12 and/or general public (10)
- Workshops or short courses for professional audience (10)
- Other professional activities, such as research, extension, consulting, or service (10)
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the award nomination website by Monday January 10, 2022 Midnight (EST). This deadline refers to receipt by the Awards Administrator of a complete package in a readable format.