Southeastern Branch Distinguished Achievement Award in Horticultural Entomology
This award recognizes and encourages outstanding contributions to American horticulture. The award will be presented at the ESA-SEB Annual Meeting. The recipient is expected to be present at this meeting to receive the award. For more information about this award, contact SEB Professional Awards Chair, Juan Luis Jurat-Fuentes.
The nominee must be a current ESA-SEB member and have contributed significantly to American horticulture by increasing the quality and value of plants, improving the productivity and profitability of the nursery and landscape industries, and protecting and enhancing the environment. A recipient of a widely recognized horticulture award will not be eligible unless the accomplishment cited as the basis for nomination represents new work. Previous recipients of this award or of the discontinued Distinguished Achievement Award in Regulatory Entomology are not eligible. Re-nomination of unsuccessful candidates is encouraged.
Nominations for this award may be made by any ESA-SEB member or unit head operating in the SEB region. Members of the Awards Committee are not eligible to nominate candidates or receive this award during their terms. Nomination packages must include the following:
- Cover page with the year and name, address, telephone number and email address of nominee
- Letter of nomination
- Academic record, including degrees, dates and institutions
- Brief description of employment and professional experience in horticultural entomology
- Statement of horticultural entomology accomplishments on which the nomination is based, including demonstrated excellence in increasing the quality and value of plants, improving the nursery and landscape industries, and protecting and enhancing the environment.
- Assessment of the nominee's accomplishments emphasizing work during the preceding 10-year period to be recognized by the award
- Professional activities during past 10 years, including offices and memberships in professional societies
- List of publications, patents and horticultural materials during past 10 years
- List of scholarly presentations during past 10 years
- Related information, including awards and other recognition
- Additional supporting information, including no more than three letters of recommendation from professional colleagues and clientele
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Candidate (50 points total)
- Leadership and participation in professional activities (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition (8)
- Special assignments and committee activities (7)
- Grantsmanship (7)
- Recommendation from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (8)
- Publications (10)
- Program (50 points total)
- Creativity and innovation of program's concept (10)
- Development and educational strategy (10)
- Implementation, including publications (10)
- Diversity of program's delivery (10)
- Evidence of program's impact (10)
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
View this list of those who have previously received this award.
The ESA SEB Members Award Chair must receive nomination packages by Monday January 6, 2020. This deadline refers to receipt of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All submissions must be placed through the Southeastern Branch Award submission site.