Kirby L. Hays Memorial Award
The Kirby L. Hays Memorial Award is sponsored by ESA-SEB. One award is given each year to an outstanding M.S. student. The recipient is recognized with a $200 cash award and a plaque at the annual Branch meeting. Please direct any questions to the ESA-SEB Student Awards Committee Chairs, Kristen Healy and Justin George.
The nominee must be a current ESA-SEB student member and have demonstrated excellence in their graduate program, e.g. scholarship, research, teaching, presentations, awards, and extracurricular activities. The student must be pursuing a M.S. degree with a major in entomology or not have graduated more than one year prior to presentation of the award at the annual Branch meeting. Application for student or regular ESA membership must have been made prior to January 1 of the year the award is granted. An active member returning for graduate study is not eligible.
Each entomology or related department or sub-department in the Branch area can nominate one eligible student who is enrolled in an M.S. program and majoring in entomology. Nominations with supporting information are sent to the ESA-SEB Student Awards Committee Chair. The ESA-SEB deadline for nominations is January 6, 2020.
Nominations must be accompanied by the following information:
- Cover page with the year and name, address, telephone number, and email address of nominee.
- Letter of nomination from the department or sub-department administrator or major advisor.
- Curriculum Vita including the information the CV Template.
- Thesis and dissertation research abstracts, limited to two pages.
- Letter of Recommendation - written by a graduate faculty member familiar with the student’s work -The letter should evaluate the student’s scholastic achievements and contributions to their institution, research field, and the science of entomology. No additional letters should be included, as they will not be considered.
Members of the Student Awards Committee shall evaluate individually nominees for the Kirby L. Hays Memorial Award by the deadline. Each committee member submits a ranked list of evaluations to the committee chair. If there is no clear awardee, the two top-ranked nominees, as averaged from the committee member lists, will be reevaluated. Chair determines the awardee and sends the required information to ESA-SEB Program Chair and Secretary-Treasurer.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packets must be submitted by Tuesday December 8, 2020. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All submissions must be placed through the Southeastern Branch Awards submission site.