Award for Excellence in Integrated Pest Management
Sponsored by Syngenta Crop Protection
This ESA* award, sponsored by Syngenta Crop Protection, shall be made on the basis of outstanding contributions that relate directly to Integrated Pest Management (IPM). The award consists of an inscribed plaque and an amount that varies depending upon the interest earned from the endowment. The recipient will be presented with the award at the ESA Annual Meeting. *Prior to 2014, this award was offered and administered by the Entomological Foundation. Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for the Award for Excellence in IPM. Each Branch is limited to one new nomination per year.
Please select below to find out more on the award:
A nominee must be an ESA member who has made outstanding contributions to IPM. Special consideration shall be given to independence of thought and originality. A recipient of a widely recognized scientific award will not be eligible for this award unless the accomplishment cited as the basis for nomination represents new work. Previous recipients of this award are not eligible for future nominations. Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for the Award for Excellence in IPM. Each Branch is limited to one new nomination per year.
Submit a Nominee-
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Award for Excellence in Integrated Pest Management Nomation Site according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists. This includes anonymous letters of support sent to ESA separately, please factor in these letters into the package length. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered.
Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to email@example.com. Printed letters will not be accepted.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for this award. Each Branch should submit one new nominee each year. The Branches should select their nominee on a merit basis from a review of recently published work.
Nomination packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- Letter of nomination
- Up to three letters of recommendation*
- Three of the most relevant reprints sent electronically in PDF format or preferably a link to the three most relevant reprints. (Does not count as part of the 20-page limit)
*Anonymous Letter of Support: Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact email@example.com with the Award Nomination ID # (found at the top left-hand corner of the nomination submission page), Nominee name and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
- Research (75 points total)
- Extent to which research focus is directly related to IPM (10)
- Quality of research (10)
- Originality of research (10)
- Interpretation of results (10)
- Quality of publication(s) upon which nomination is based (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements, and recognition (10)
- Outreach and delivery of IPM (15)
- Overall Impact of Research Findings on IPM (select one, up to 25 points)
- Minor (5)
- Moderate (10)
- Important (15
- Very Good (20)
- Outstanding (25)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Renomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the award deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators, where applicable, with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
For questions about this award, please click here.