Sponsored by Syngenta Crop Protection
This award honors an individual that has made outstanding contributions that relate directly to Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for the Award for Excellence in IPM. Each Branch is limited to one new nomination per year.
For questions about this award, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1.
The award consists of an inscribed plaque and an amount that varies depending upon the interest earned from the endowment. The recipient will be presented with the award at the ESA Annual Meeting.
A nominee must be an ESA member who has made outstanding contributions to IPM. Special consideration shall be given to independence of thought and originality. A recipient of a widely recognized scientific award will not be eligible for this award unless the accomplishment cited as the basis for nomination represents new work. Previous recipients of this award are not eligible for future nominations. Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for the Award for Excellence in IPM. Each Branch is limited to one new nomination per year.
NOTE: Members can only submit in one Branch each year.
Only nominations from ESA Branches are accepted for this award. Each Branch should submit one new nominee each year. The Branches should select their nominee on a merit basis from a review of recently published work. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form.
Nomination packages for this award must include:
1. CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 4 - Extension/Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items -
- Letter of nomination
- Up to three letters of recommendation
- Three of the most relevant reprints sent electronically in PDF format or preferably a link to the three most relevant reprints. (Does not count as part of the 20-page limit)
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This include letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the Award for Excellence in Integrated Pest Management Nomination website
Judging Criteria and Notification
Nominees/candidates will be judged by the Award for Excellence in Integrated Pest Management Judging Panel using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
1. Research(75 points total)
- Extent to which research focus is directly related to IPM (10)
- Quality of research (10)
- Originality of research (10)
- Interpretation of results (10)
- Quality of publication(s) upon which nomination is based (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements, and recognition (10)
- Outreach and delivery of IPM (15)
2. Overall Impact of Research Findings on IPM (select one, up to 25 points)
- Minor (5)
- Moderate (10)
- Important (15
- Very Good (20)
- Outstanding (25)
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators, where applicable, with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
Any candidate nominated but not selected may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his or her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.