Henry and Sylvia Richardson Research Grant
The purpose of this ESA* grant is to provide research funds to postdoctoral ESA members who have at least one year of promising work experience, are undertaking research in selected areas of insect control, and have demonstrated a high level of scholarship. It was established by Henry and Sylvia Richardson to assist in developing good research scientists to advance the science of entomology. Dr. Henry Richardson was an emeritus member of ESA.The amount of the award is dependent upon the interest earned from the endowment. The grant is awarded at the ESA Annual Meeting. *Prior to 2014 this award was offered and administered by the Entomological Foundation.
Please select below to find out more on the award:
A nominee must be an ESA member and postdoctoral scholar, working in insect control by attractants, repellents, biological controls, thermocontrols, or chemical controls. Second priority will be given to those candidates working in insect control of medical or veterinary importance. If there is no suitable candidate in these categories, candidates working in physiology or toxicology may be considered. A grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is also required.
Submit a Nominee-
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Henry and Sylvia Richardson Research Grant Awards Submission Site according to the following specifications:
Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to email@example.com. Printed letters will not be accepted. Letters of recommendation cannot exceed two pages each.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 4 - Extension/ Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- Letter of nomination
- Letter of application describing eligibility
- Two-page description of research in one of the areas defined above
- Official graduate-level and postgraduate transcripts (mail to: Awards Administrator - ESA - 3 Park Place Suite 307 Annapolis, MD 21401)
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a major professor and one from a previous instructor*
*Anonymous Letter of Support: Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter. This should only be used if the individual writing the letter does not want the nominator to see the letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact email@example.com with the Award Nomination ID # (found at the top left-hand corner of the nomination submission page), Nominee name and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
Candidate (20 points total)
Recommendation from professors, advisors, etc. (10)
Choose one of the following:
a) Working in insect control by attractants, repellents, biocontrols, thermocontrols,
or chemical controls (10)
b) Working in insect control of medical or veterinary use (5)
c) Working in physiology or toxicology (1)
2. Proposed Research (40 points total)
- Feasibility (10)
- Contribution to the knowledge of the science (10)
- Creativity and innovation (10)
- National impact (10)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Renomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the award deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators, where applicable, with the results of their application approximately two months after the application/nomination submission deadline.
For questions about this award, please click here.