ESA Student Activity Award
Sponsored by Bayer Crop Science, this award will be presented annually to recognize a student for outstanding contributions to the Society, his/her academic department, and the community, while still achieving academic excellence. The award consists of a $5,000 cash prize and an inscribed plaque. The awardee is presented with the plaque during the ESA Annual Meeting.
All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form.
Click here for additional details.
Please select below to find out more on the award:
- Is pursuing course work leading to a graduate degree with a focus in entomology (Individuals may receive the award providing that they have not graduated more than 12 months prior to the time the award is to be presented.);
- Is an ESA member (student or regular) prior to January 1 of the year in which the award is to be presented; and
- Shows evidence of an excellent academic record.
A regular member returning for graduate study is eligible if membership status changes from regular to student membership within at least two years after resuming graduate studies.
Submit a Nominee-
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the ESA Student Activity Award Nomination Site according to the following specifications:
Letters of nomination must be included in the electronic package, letter of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted *anonymously via e-mail electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Printed letters will not be accepted. Letters of recommendation cannot exceed two pages each.
Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
The nomination site requires a single nomination packet via one PDF file. If you do not have software to merge the documents, please send all of your files to email@example.com for assistance.
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items -
- Letter of nomination stating the reason for nomination. This letter should come from the individual nominating (for self nominations that letter should come from the nominee).
- A one-page letter written by the applicant outlining his/her activities and accomplishments relevant to the criteria of the award
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members or other knowledgeable individuals*
- Official or unofficial transcripts of all graduate education. Unofficial transcripts must be accompanied with a support letter from the department or advisor confirming the authenticity. Official transcripts can me mailed to: ESA 3 Park Place Suite 307 Annapolis, MD 21401 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Anonymous Letter of Support: Follow the below instructions to submit an anonymous letter. This method should only be used if the individual writing the letter does not want the nominator to see the letter.
- Once the award application has been initiated, contact email@example.com with the Award Nomination ID # (found at the top left-hand corner of the nomination submission page), Nominee name and the letter in PDF format.
- Once the letter has been uploaded by the ESA Awards Administrator, the nominator will receive an email notification.
- Please note, ESA is not responsible for individuals that do not contact the awards administration by the deadline date. It is up to the nominator to make sure that the individuals email the letter(s) by the deadline date. If an anonymous letter is not received by the deadline this will impact the score of the nominee.
- Academics (50 points total)
- Academic record and accomplishments (30)
- Evaluation by faculty members or others (15)
- Contributions and/or service to academic department (5)
- Contributions to ESA (35 points total)
- Volunteer service to the Society (12)
- Participation in branch or national meetings (13)
- Publish in ESA journals (10)
- Service to the Community (15 points total)
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format. Therefore, early submission is highly recommended. All nomination packets will not be able to be changed after June 1.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his/her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline above. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
For questions about this award, please click here.