Eastern Branch Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching
This award recognizes an Eastern Branch member for outstanding contributions in the area of teaching. The winner of this award will be recognized at the Eastern Branch Meeting and will be submitted to the ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching as the Branch nominee for that year. The Eastern Branch committee chair will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
For questions regarding the award or nomination process, please contact Don Weber.
The nominee must be a current ESA member of the Eastern Branch, and must have demonstrated excellent performance through program creativity, impact, achievement, and delivery. NOTE: Members can only submit in one Branch each year.
- CV-Related Items: Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. View a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 5 – Service
- Other Items
- Letter of nomination containing a brief explanation of how the nominee excelled in performance of teaching-related duties.
- Up to three letters of endorsement from professional colleagues, former students, or current students (not more than two from each)
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Classroom Instructions (30 points total)
- Amount/number of courses and/or students (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of methods (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of materials (10)
- Other Aspects of Teaching (40 points total)
- Development of new courses or curricula (4)
- Grants received for teaching (2)
- Publications related to teaching (2)
- Talks related to teaching (2)
- Participation in committees related to teaching (2)
- Advising students and student organizations (20)
- Evaluation by students and peers (8)
- Outreach and Other Activities (30 points total)
- Presentations or activities for K-12 and/or general public (10)
- Workshops or short courses for professional audience (10)
- Other professional activities, such as research, extension, consulting, or service (10)
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be re-nominated no more than two times within the two-year period after their initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of re-nomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline below. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The re-nomination e-mail must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be received by the ESA Awards Administrator via the Eastern Branch Nomination Website by Monday December 17, 2018 at 12:00 Midnight Eastern Time. This deadline refers to receipt by the Awards Administrator of a complete package in a readable format.