Pacific Branch John Henry Comstock Award
This award recognizes an outstanding Pacific Branch graduate student in entomology. The award is to promote interest in entomology at the graduate level and to stimulate interest in attending the Pacific Branch and ESA Annual Meetings. The recipient will be expected to give a presentation at the Pacific Branch Meeting. The Pacific Branch Comstock award-winner will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to the ESA Annual Meeting held the same year as the Pacific Branch Meeting; a $100 cash prize; and a certificate. Expenses paid for the national meeting include reimbursed airfare, free hotel arrangements, free meeting registration, and a per diem allowance.
Any questions regarding the award or nomination process, please contact Chuck Burks.
The student nominee must be currently enrolled as a graduate student in entomology, or have graduated no more than one year prior to presentation of the award at the PBESA annual meeting. Students must be pursuing a course leading to a graduate degree with a major in entomology.
Nomination packages should include the following:
- A photo-ready digital image for use in the Branch Meeting program
- Name and address
- Academic record, including transcripts
- Academic activities
- Student activities (non-academic)
- Participation in professional activities
- Publications and paper presentations
- Letter of nomination and one additional endorsement letter from another entomologist who has more than a casual knowledge of the student's qualities
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Quality of academic record (20 pts)
- Extent and quality of academic activities in entomology and related fields (20 pts)
- Extent and quality of student activities (non-academic) (20 pts)
- Participation in professional activities (e.g., conferences, committees, etc.) (20 pts)
- Extent and quality of publications and paper presentations (20 pts)
Only PDF files will be accepted. Supporting image files should be embedded into the document, and should be of sufficient resolution for easy viewing. All nomination packets are limited to a maximum of 20 pages. (Any reprints are not included in the 20 page limit.)
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the Pacific Branch Nomination website by Monday February 6, 2017 at 12:00 Midnight. This deadline refers to receipt by the Awards Administrator of a complete package in a readable format. In addition, a notification of intent to nominate is requested by Monday December 19, 2016 via email to Chuck Burks.