Plant-Insect Ecosystems (P-IE) Master’s Student Achievement in Entomology Award
The P-IE Master’s Student Achievement in Entomology Award recognizes a Master’s student who has demonstrated creativity and significant achievements through research, teaching and/or outreach in entomology. The awardee will receive a waiver of registration to the annual ESA meeting, $ 1,500 and a plaque. The awardee is required to submit and present a paper or poster at the annual ESA annual meeting. The recipient is expected to attend the Monday afternoon P-IE Networking Session during the ESA meeting to receive the awards. Advisors of award recipients are also recognized during the award presentation and presented with a certificate.
The P-IE Master’s Student Achievement in Entomology Award recognizes graduate students who have demonstrated significant achievement in entomology through: 1) a graduate research project; 2) creative approaches to teaching; and/or 3) creative achievements in outreach. At the time of application, candidates must be enrolled in a Master’s program (not necessarily in an Entomology department) or have completed the degree no earlier than May of the current year.
Eligibility: The nominee must be an ESA student member affiliated with P-IE at the time the award is received.
Previous Winners: View the list of those who have previously received this award.
- Letter of nomination from the student’s advisor (maximum 2 pages)
- Statement of the nominee’s interests and future plans in the area of entomology research, teaching and/or outreach (maximum 2 pages)
- CV or resume
- Description of recent accomplishment(s) (research, teaching and/or outreach during the last two years), emphasizing significance, creativity, and relevance to Plant-Insect Ecosystems (maximum 2 pages)
- Statement by the applicant agreeing, if selected, to join the Plant-Insect Ecosystem Section of ESA and to submit and present a paper or poster to the ESA national meeting
- Abstract of the paper or poster that will be presented (see the annual meeting section at http://www.entsoc.org/annual_meeting for abstract preparation guidelines)
- Letter of support from a person familiar with the nominee’s qualifications (maximum 2 pages)
Evaluation Criteria- 100 points total
- Letters of nomination and Support (20 points)
- Academic performance (as documented in cv/resume) (20 points)
Demonstrated achievement in research, teaching, and/or outreach (60 points total):
- Originality and creativity (20 points)
- Scientific engagement, quality, rigor (20 points)
- Relevance to Plant-Insect Ecosystem (10 points)
- Potential impact (10 points)
The nominating faculty member should submit the application package via the P-IE Award Nomination website. Only PDF files will be accepted. Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point. Supporting image files should be embedded into the document and should be of sufficient resolution for easy viewing. Maximum numbers of files that can be upload is six so merge documents as appropriate.
Nomination packages must be received via the P-IE Award Nomination website by June 1, 2017
Any questions regarding this award can be directed to the P-IE Awards Committee Chair - Chris Sansone - email@example.com