The P-IE Master’s Student Achievement in Entomology Award recognizes a master’s student who has demonstrated creativity and significant achievements through research, teaching and/or outreach in entomology. The awardee will receive a waiver of registration to the ESA Annual Meeting, $1,500 and a plaque. The awardee is required to submit and present a paper or poster at the ESA Annual Meeting. The recipient is expected to attend the Monday afternoon P-IE Networking Session during the ESA Annual Meeting to receive the awards. Advisors of award recipients are also recognized during the award presentation and presented with a certificate.
For questions about this award, please contact the P-IE Awards Committee Chair, Silvia Rondon.
Nominees must be an ESA student member affiliated with the P-IE Section at the time the award is received. Candidates must be enrolled in a master’s program (not necessarily in an entomology department) or have completed the degree no earlier than May of the current year. Attendance and participation at the ESA Annual Meeting by submitting and presenting a paper or poster as part of the student competition is required.
Nomination packages must include the following:
- Letter of nomination from the student’s advisor (maximum 2 pages)
- Statement of the nominee’s interests and future plans in the area of entomology research, teaching and/or outreach (maximum 2 pages)
- CV or resume
- Description of recent accomplishment(s) (research, teaching and/or outreach during the last two years), emphasizing significance, creativity, and relevance to Plant-Insect Ecosystems (maximum 2 pages)
- Statement by the applicant agreeing, if selected, to join the Plant-Insect Ecosystem Section of ESA and to submit and present a paper or poster to the ESA Annual Meeting
- Abstract of the paper or poster that will be presented (see the Annual Meeting section for abstract preparation guidelines)
- Letter of support from a person familiar with the nominee’s qualifications (maximum 2 pages)
The nominating faculty member should submit the application package via the P-IE Award Nomination website. Only PDF files will be accepted. Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point. Supporting image files should be embedded into the document and should be of sufficient resolution for easy viewing. Maximum numbers of files that can be upload is six so merge documents as appropriate.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Letters of nomination and Support (20 points)
- Academic performance, as documented in CN/resume (20 points)
- Demonstrated achievement in research, teaching, and/or outreach (60 points total):
- Originality and creativity (20 points)
- Scientific engagement, quality, rigor (20 points)
- Relevance to Plant-Insect Ecosystem (10 points)
- Potential impact (10 points)
Winners of the award are selected based on evidence of significant achievement in entomology through one of the following: a graduate research project, a creative approaches to teaching, or creative achievements in outreach.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the P-IE P-IE Master’s Student Achievement in Entomology Award Nomination website by June 1 annually. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.