Plant-Insect Ecosystems (P-IE) Undergraduate Student Achievement in Entomology Award
The P-IE Undergraduate Student Achievement in Entomology Award recognizes undergraduate students who have demonstrated significant achievements through research, teaching and/or outreach in entomology. As many as four awards may be presented annually. Each awardee will receive a waiver of registration to the ESA Annual Meeting, $1,500 and a plaque. The awards can be used for travel expenses for participation in the ESA Annual Meeting. Recipients are expected to attend the Monday afternoon P-IE Networking Session during the ESA Annual Meeting to receive the award.
For questions about this award, please contact the P-IE Awards Committee Chair, Lisa Neven.
Nominees must an ESA member affiliated with the P-IE Section. Candidates must be enrolled as an undergraduate student (not necessarily in an entomology departments) at the time of nomination. Attendance and participation at the ESA Annual Meeting by submitting and presenting a paper or poster as part of the student competition is required.
Nomination packages must include the following:
- Two letters of support from faculty members familiar with the applicant’s achievements (maximum 2 pages each)
- Transcript: A copy of the nominee’s official transcript, or a transcript copy signed by a faculty member, that includes the most recent GPA
- Resume or CV (maximum 3 pages)
- Summary of the accomplishments (whether research, teaching, and/or outreach), demonstrating the creativity and significance of the accomplishment (maximum 1 page)
- Agreement to present: A statement by the nominee agreeing, if selected, to submit and present a paper or poster the year of the award in the P-IE Section of the ESA Annual Meeting
The nominating faculty member should submit the application package via the P-IE Award Nomination website. Only PDF files will be accepted. Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point. Supporting image files should be embedded into the document and should be of sufficient resolution for easy viewing.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Letters of support (20)
- Leadership and involvement in entomology (10)
- Academic qualifications, as documented in CV/resume (10)
- Demonstrated achievement in outreach, research, and/or teaching (60 points total)
- Originality and creativity (20)
- Scientific engagement, quality, rigor (20)
- Relevance to P-IE (10)
- Potential impact (10)
Winners of the award are selected based on evidence of outstanding performance related to activity and achievement in entomology, and at least one of the following: an undergraduate research project, a creative approach to teaching, or a creative achievement in outreach.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the P-IE Awards Nomination website by May 1 annually. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.