Medical, Urban and Veterinary Entomology Early Career Award (MUVE-ECA)
This award recognizes an early professional member of the MUVE section of ESA who has demonstrated excellence in research, extension, teaching and/or outreach. The candidate will have made outstanding contributions to Medical, Urban and/or Veterinary entomology appropriate to their early career status and demonstrate potential to be a leader in his/her chosen career, as well as a substantial contributor to the MUVE section of ESA. The recipient will receive a $500 check and an award plaque.
The nominee must be a current member of the Entomological Society of America, and identified MUVE as his/her section, with the status of Early Career Professional or Student Transition and no more than five years from earning their terminal graduate degree (M.S. or Ph.D.). Competitive candidates will have a demonstrated record of success in the field of Medical, Urban and/or Veterinary entomology, consistent with their current position. This could include scholarship (publications in ESA journals especially weighted), extension, outreach, teaching, service to the society, and/or government service. MUVE-related activities and accomplishments will be given the most weight during the evaluation process.
Nomination packages should include the following:
- A cover letter, summarizing past achievements and future goals as they relate to the fields of Medical, Urban and Veterinary entomology.
- One nomination letter, by the nominator, which should be addressed to the MUVE-ECA Selection Committee. This letter should include information pertaining to the nominee’s excellence to date and potential in his/her chosen professional career. The letter should also cover the academic or other achievements of the nominee, as well as the activities in ESA-MUVE, including publishing in ESA journals, activities at the Branch or national level, and any leadership roles he/she has performed.
- Two letters of support. These should come from mentors, colleagues, or even students who can attest to the quality of the nominee’s achievements as an early career professional.
- CV which includes the following sections as appropriate for the career of the nominee (for example, a research focused nominee may not have an entry in extension):
- Section 1 – Education and background information
- Should include dates, degrees, locations, as well as any non-degree training, certifications, or honors.
- Section 2 – Research
- Should include all publications, with peer-reviewed publications separated from non-peer reviewed publications. Should also include research grants received.
- Section 3 – Teaching, Mentoring, or Other Academic Engagement. Should include any formal teaching of mentoring, including committee membership.
- Section 4 - Extension. Should include a description of an extension program, ideally with metrics of effectiveness if applicable.
- Section 5 –Service and Outreach, particularly to MUVE. Should include a description of service and outreach activities. Service can include community, institutional, and to our or other scientific societies, but should be pertinent to entomology (e.g. coaching a youth baseball team should not be mentioned). Outreach can include any interaction with the public or profession that is not part of a formal extension program (and thus may not have metrics of success associated with it). Service to MUVE will be especially weighted.
Nominees will be evaluated using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Quality of achievements in research, extension, teaching, and other professional endeavors in MUVE, befitting an ECP in their chosen career, based upon their CV (25%).
- Evidence of achievements in research, extension, teaching, and other professional endeavors in MUVE befitting an ECP in their chosen careers, based upon their letters of nomination and support. (25%)
- Engagement with the Scientific Community, including service and leadership in the MUVE section of ESA (25%).
- Professional trajectory towards excellence in MUVE in their chosen area (including industry, academia, government, NGOs, or other), based on the overall package and cover letter (25%).
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the MUVE Awards Submission Site according to the following specifications:
- Only one PDF file will be accepted.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages.
Any candidate nominated, but not selected, may be re-nominated for the following year only. A new or an updated re-nomination package must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination approximately two months after the nomination submission deadline.
Nomination packages must be submitted through the MUVE Awards Nomination Website by June 1, 2021. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.