Southwestern Branch Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching
This award honors the role of entomological education as a basis for the entire discipline by recognizing a Southwestern Branch member who is deems to the most outstanding educator of the year. The winner of this award will be recognized at the upcoming Southwestern Branch Meeting and will be submitted to the ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching as the Branch nominee for that same year.
The nominee must be a current Southwestern Branch member, teach at the community college or university level, and must have excelled through innovations in developing new courses, programs, and teaching methods.
Nomination packages must include the following:
- CV-Related Items: Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. View a full listing of what should be included in each of the following sections.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 5 - Service
- Other Items:
- Letter of nomination containing a brief explanation of how the nominee excelled in performance of teaching-related duties
- Up to three letters of endorsement from professional colleagues, former students, or current students (not more than two from each)
- Photograph of the nominee (as a digital image file [JPG]) as well as a short bio for the program
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Classroom Instructions (30 points total)
- Amount/number of courses and/or students (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of methods (10)
- Effectiveness, innovation, and effort of materials (10)
- Other Aspects of Teaching (40 points total)
- Development of new courses or curricula (4)
- Grants received for teaching (2)
- Publications related to teaching (2)
- Talks related to teaching (2)
- Participation in committees related to teaching (2)
- Advising students and student organizations (20)
- Evaluation by students and peers (8)
- Outreach and Other Activities (30 points total)
- Presentations or activities for K-12 and/or general public (10)
- Workshops or short courses for professional audience (10)
- Other professional activities, such as research, extension, consulting, or service (10)
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the award nomination website by Wednesday January 19, 2022 Midnight (EST). This deadline refers to receipt by the Awards Administrator of a complete package in a readable format.