Student Virtual Poster Competition Information
Students are eligible for the competition for 12 months after the month of graduation, with current ESA student or student transition membership.
Students participating in the Student Virtual Poster Competition may also submit a Student Virtual Infographic. However they may not participate in any other Student Competition programs.
Students who present virtual posters in the Student Competition for the President's Prize will be evaluated in the following areas:
Scientific Content (60%)
- Introduction and background with pertinent literature cited (5 points)
- Title relevant to poster content (5 points)
- Judges will score the title given on the virtual poster, not what is listed in the Program Book.
- Abstract informative and well written, correlates with poster content, and printed on poster. (10 points)
- Objectives or hypotheses clearly stated and concise (10 points)
- Materials and methods (study design) clear, concise, and appropriate to the problem (10 points)
- Results, analysis, and discussion are clear, concise, and accurate (10 points)
- Significance of results to field of study clearly discussed (10 points)
Poster Display (40%)
- Logical order, minimum redundancy (5 points)
- Effective use of space; smooth transitions between sections (5 points)
- Visual Aids
- Legible with large fonts, color contrast, no conflicting backgrounds (10 points)
- Text without grammatical errors; not excessively wordy (10 points)
- Effective use of figures and/or tables, coordinated with and cited in text (10 points)
Each virtual poster display is judged independently by three judges selected by the ESA Section Presidents. In the event of a tie, the Student Competition Co-Chairs will confer with the judges to determine the winner.
A Sample Virtual Poster Evaluation Form is available for reference.
Students compete only against the students in their virtual poster session and not against other students in the same topic area who were assigned to other sessions. The size of each session is dependent on the initial number of virtual posters submitted to each topic area.
For poster dimensions and instructions, please visit the Virtual Poster Presenter Information page.
View the presenter tips for engaging all audiences.