NCB Distinguished Achievement Award in Horticultural Entomology
This award is presented to honor an NCB-ESA member for demonstrated excellence in Horticultural Entomology. The NCB award recipient will receive a plaque acknowledging their accomplishments. The winner will also serve as our branch nominee for the Distinguished Achievement Award in Horticultural Entomology offered by the Entomological Society of America. This Entomological Society of America award at the national level has an open nomination policy and is not limited to branch nominations.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
A nominee must be a current NCB-ESA member who has made outstanding contributions to the designated field. Packages will be judged according to the evaluation criteria described below.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 11 point.
- The maximum upload size is 2 MB per file.
- Nominators are encouraged, though not required, to submit the package as one continuous document rather than as individual files.
Nomination packages will be submitted through the North Central Branch Awards Website.
Nomination packages for this award must include :
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
- Section 3 - Teaching
- Section 4 - Extension/Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items -
- Description of nominee's professional improvement efforts, work experience, and other professional responsibilities or achievements with emphasis on service to American horticulture
- Three letters of recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Candidate (50 points total)
- Leadership and participation in professional activities (10)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition (8)
- Special assignments and committee activities (7)
- Grantsmanship (7)
- Recommendation from colleagues, peer groups, etc. (8)
- Publications (10)
- Program (50 points total)
- Creativity and innovation of program's concept (10)
- Development and educational strategy (10)
- Implementation, including publications (10)
- Diversity of program's delivery (10)
- Evidence of program's impact (10)
Nomination packages must be submitted by December 1, 2017. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.
Renominations are encouraged. Any candidate nominated, but not selected , for the award at the branch level, may be renominated for the branch award up to two times within the two-year period (following the eligibility criteria) after his/her initial submission. A renomination package must be made as a new submission, but may contain old or updated material at the nominators discretion.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination. Award recipients will be asked to supply a short bio and picture for the program booklet.
For more information about this award, please contact the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee.