NCB Recognition Award in Entomology
This award recognizes individuals who make significant entomological contributions to agriculture. The recipient will receive a plaque acknowledging their achievements. Winner will also serve as our branch nominee to compete for the Recognition Award in Entomology offered by the Entomological Society of America. This Entomological Society of America award at the national level has an open nomination policy and is not limited to branch nominations.
View this list of those who have previously received this award.
The nominee must be a current NCB-ESA member and have contributed significantly to agricultural advancement through work in the field of entomology. The work to be recognized by the award must have been done during the preceding five-year period. A nominee of a widely recognized scientific award is not eligible unless the accomplishment(s) cited as the basis for nomination represents new work.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or MAC platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- The maximum upload size is 2 MB per file.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 11 point.
- Nominators are encouraged, though not required, to submit the package as one continuous document rather than as individual files.
Nomination packages will be submitted through the North Central Branch Awards Website.
Nomination packages for this award must include:
- CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 2 - Research
2. Other Items -
- A nomination letter describing the work on which the nomination is based
- Three letters of recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's accomplishments, placing special emphasis on the work to be recognized by the award
- Copy of the specific work (NOTE: This award focuses on work done in the preceding five-year period. If list of work causes nomination package to exceed 20 pages, please trim the list accordingly)
Nominees/candidates will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
- Research Contributions(80 points total)
- Quality of research (25)
- Originality of research (10)
- Quality of publications (10)
- Evaluation by colleagues, peers, constituents (15)
- Impact of research finding(s) on the understanding of the subject (20)
- Supporting Information(20 points total)
- Participation and leadership in honor and professional societies (10)
- Awards, honors, and special recognitions received (10)
Nomination packages must be submitted by December 1, 2017. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.
Renominations are encouraged. Any candidate nominated, but not selected , for the award at the branch level, may be renominated for the branch award up to two times within the two-year period (following the eligibility criteria) after his/her initial submission. A renomination package must be made as a new submission, but may contain old or updated material at the nominators discretion.
The awards administrator will notify all candidates and their nominators with the results of their nomination. Award recipients will be asked to supply a short bio and picture for the program booklet.
For more information about this award, please contact the chair of the NCB-ESA Professional Awards Committee.