Pacific Branch Meeting Call for Symposia
Your Program Chairs Alix Whitener and Rebecca Schmidt-Jeffris are ready and waiting to hear your thoughts on symposia for the 2020 Pacific Branch ESA meeting April 19-22, 2020 in Spokane, Washington at The Centennial Hotel.
We hope to attract a broad range of topics in 2020, so do not hesitate to be creative when considering submitting your ideas. All symposium proposals should be submitted online by December 2, 2019.
Submissions should include the following:
- Session title
- Summary Statement of the Goal or Concept, and Objectives
- Brief Symposium Description (50 words or less, required)
- List of several speakers you plan to invite to participate in your symposium
- Comments for Program Organizers (not required)
- Total time required: 2 or 4 hours
- Organizer name(s) and contact information
If you would like to discuss a symposium idea prior to submitting a proposal, please contact the Program Co-Chairs: Alix Whitener and Rebecca Schmidt-Jeffris.
We are particularly seeking symposia that represent the diversity of PB member research, including molecular biology, systematics, urban, and medical/veterinary entomology.
Last year, attendees submitted many unique and interesting symposium topic ideas in the meeting conclusion survey, including:
- Bumble bees and other non-honey bee pollinators
- Hemp/cannabis pest management
- Aquatic insects and stream/fish healthy indicators
- Systematics and genomics
- Medical and veterinary entomology
- Urban entomology and landscape ecology
- Dung beetle astronavigation
- Science communication and policy
- New emerging pests in the PNW
- Barriers to IPM implementation/how research gets applied on farms
- Storage pest management
- Use of drones in entomological research and implementation
- Forest entomology
- Professional Networking
If you are interested in hearing a symposium on one of these (or other topics!), please contact the program chairs or submit your idea! We look forward to hearing from you and organizing a meeting you won’t forget! (Hindsight being 2020!)